[Talk-GB] Waterways Map (was invisible)

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Jan 20 11:20:40 GMT 2011

Jerry Clough wrote:
> I'd also second TomH: there are lots of things showing as navigable which
> look
> odd: Cromford Canal from Cromford to Ambergate (now a nature reserve, and
> possibly an SSSI)

That is navigable, and navigated, though not as much as it was when first
restored in the 1980s (in conjunction with the then canal society, which
subsequently went pop in slightly suspect circumstances).

The modern-day Friends of the Cromford Canal occasionally run boat trips
there, I think. There are quite a few navigable waterways which are SSSIs -
e.g. the parts of the Montgomery and the Rochdale infested by the infamous
floating water plantain. ;)

cheers
Richard