[Talk-GB] Quiet lanes and "one car per minute"

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Jan 20 14:03:31 GMT 2011

Kevin Peat wrote:
> I think in my part of the SW the large majority of highway=unclassified
> would be <=1 car a minute average so just from a tagging perspective
> it would be a lot easier just tagging those few that are busier.

I'm very envious... if only I could say the same of the "large majority"
round here. :)

Unfortunately, if you do it that way round, you can't highlight quiet roads
until you're confident that everywhere has been surveyed.

In other words, if you only tag the busy roads, and a given road doesn't
have the tag, you can't tell whether
   a) this road is quiet, or
   b) the traffic level hasn't been surveyed yet

(Of course, the same applies in reverse!)

There's also the problem that you're adding an implication to an existing
tag ("highway=unclassified is quiet unless otherwise specified") and the
wiki-fiddlers get very cross when you do that. And I could kind of see their
point - there are zillions of highway=unclassified out there and it's a bit
late to say "actually, it now means this".

cheers
Richard