[Talk-GB] Quiet lanes and "one car per minute"

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Thu Jan 20 14:08:09 GMT 2011

Richard Mann wrote:
> Traffic planners typically measure motor-vehicles-per-day (and
> quote it to the nearest thousand), so I'd do traffic=<1000, with
> advice somewhere that you can use 1000* off-peak cars-per
> minute as an approximation.

Whatever - I tend to leave that sort of stuff to the fiddlers and the
denizens of tagging at ...

But I would say that smaller units are likely to be more understandable -
"60 vehicles per hour" is much more comprehensible to the average mapper
than "1000 vehicles per day". And, as ever, we optimise for the mapper. If
we always followed what the professionals do then we'd still be using ArcGIS
rather than some marvellous custom editing software whose name I happen to
forget.[1]

cheers
Richard

[1] oh yes... JOSM, that was it