[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis name tags

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 20 17:44:14 GMT 2011

On 20/01/2011 17:28, Peter Miller wrote:

> On 20 January 2011 17:20, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net
> <mailto:tom at acrewoods.net>> wrote:
>
>     How about dialects?
>
>     name:en
>     name:cy
>     name:gd
>     name:gv
>     name:sco
>     name:ga
>
>     Whatever other regional languages we have.
>

> we believe that the OS Locator content is always in English. In the
> Western Isles the name field for roads in OSM often holds the Gaelic
> version with the English in en:name hence our support for that tag. Do
> tell me if I am wrong on that.

The OS Locator data does have Gaelic names in some places.
See for example Portree:
http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=57.41533&lon=-6.20179&layers=B0TF
Also some parts of Stornoway:
http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=58.21523&lon=-6.37094&layers=B0TF

Though it is inconsistent, with English names for some roads, Gaelic
names for others. I have also noticed a few places where it seems to
have both languages, so it has a separate box for each.
For Stornoway, the Gaelic names are in the name= tag, with name:en for
English.
But for Portree it is mostly the English name in the name= tag, with
name:gd for the Gaelic names. Its debatable which one should be
considered the 'primary' name there.

Craig