[Talk-GB] Postcode centroids

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Thu Jan 20 18:17:48 GMT 2011

Now that people are tracing buildings from Bing etc addressing is
getting more widespread, but one awkward area is postcodes. The Open
data that OS released last year included the Code Point Open dataset
which has the location of postcode centroids. These can help with adding
postcodes to addresses.

I have created an overlay from the postcode centroids. You can see it
here http://codepoint.raggedred.net/ One way to use this is as an
overlay in an editor. Blackadder has added how to set this up in JOSM on
the wiki page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ordnance_Survey_Opendata#Code-Point_Open
It also works in Potlatch 2.

I have only loaded some of the postcode areas so far. You can see these
on the wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Chillly/codepoint

Please do not just add the centroid to the map. I don't see the value of
that. I am interested in the experience people gain from using this
data, for example to add postcodes to an address such as addr:postcode.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly