[Talk-GB] Postcode centroids

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Jan 21 09:58:40 GMT 2011

On 21/01/11 09:51, Kevin Peat wrote:

> I was wondering why you don't see any value in just adding the postcode
> centroids to the map?
>
> There are probably 25000+ buildings in my area so it isn't feasible for
> me to add them all and their addresses in less than a lifetime whereas
> adding the postcode centroids would surely allow an instant improvement
> in navigation for many users who are used to tapping a postcode into
> their satnavs?

Because postcode centroids are not real - they don't exist so fail the
ground truth rule.

As I understand things the new version of Nominatim that is coming up
will search the OpenData postcode data (and various other postcode
databases for other countries) directly anyway.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/