[Talk-GB] Postcode centroids

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Jan 21 11:46:39 GMT 2011

On 21/01/11 09:51, Kevin Peat wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> I was wondering why you don't see any value in just adding the
> postcode centroids to the map?
>
> There are probably 25000+ buildings in my area so it isn't feasible
> for me to add them all and their addresses in less than a lifetime
> whereas adding the postcode centroids would surely allow an instant
> improvement in navigation for many users who are used to tapping a
> postcode into their satnavs?
>
> Kevin
As others have said, the postcode centroids are completely artificial. I
believe they were included as part of the Open Data as a way of giving
some address information out without giving away the real address file
data that would have been much more useful. Clearly OS & RM did not want
to give any of this data away, they make money from it. They were forced
to give some Open Data, so the fudged, soft detail of Street View and
the postcode centroids are the result.

The overlay is intended for anyone to use to assist with adding
postcodes to OSM objects by referring to the centroids without adding them.

I will add more data over time, but if anyone would like specific areas
(e.g. HU) adding first please speak up.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly