[Talk-GB] Postcode centroids

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Fri Jan 21 11:47:44 GMT 2011

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists <ajrlists at ...> writes:

>>>The Open
>>>data that OS released last year included the Code Point Open dataset
>>>which has the location of postcode centroids.

>>I think the big question is whether adding them would help Nominatim
>>resolve postcode searches.  It seems to have some postcode data already but
>>I don't know where it gets that from?
>
>Nominatim works very nicely once you have the postcodes and house numbers in
>OSM. Just try my postcode B72 1JU in the OSM search box for an example.

I got confused.  The OSM website will do postcode matches using the NPEMap /
Free The Postcode data when Nominatim doesn't return a result.  These search
results come up like 'EX13 7##' and must be based on a postcode centroid.

If the centroids were mapped within OSM itself, then Nominatim could do this
search.  This might be slightly cleaner, but it's more of a technical decision
than anything else, so it's for Brian Q. and the search form folk to decide.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>