[Talk-GB] Postcode centroids

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:55:49 GMT 2011

Lester Caine [mailto:lester at lsces.co.uk]wrote:
>Sent: 21 January 2011 11:41 AM
>To: 'talk-gb OSM List'
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Postcode centroids
>
>Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
>> One thing that is absolutely clear to me is that you can't add
>> postcodes unless you have been around and assigned the right houses to
>> the right streets. On older  traditional streets where this is clear
>> from imagery it's not so difficult but in new housing estates it's
>> impossible unless you have walked the patch first. After that it all
>> drops into place really rather easily.
>
>In the final analysis, a building should have it's post code as part of the
>address. Ideally that would be picked up from the 'road' that the building
is
>attached to. So the address would consist of a 'house name/number' on a tag
>for the building, and a link somehow to the road which provides the other
>data for the full address. Tagging ALL that information for every building
is
>something which should be avoided.

Why to be avoided? Just because there is one way of achieving the same thing
doesn't mean one way should be avoided.

>The problem with the OS pointcode data is that it does NOT include the road
>name since that is the bit that Royal Mail still demand payment for. The
PAF
>file of cause has ALL of the buildings along with their coordinates, but
the
>licence prevents that being used, so we have to physically recreate it from
the
>ground up. Moving forward, where postcodes are already available as part of
>postal information then no problem, but it would be useful if the missing
>postcodes were added even if they still require linking to the relevant
road.
>There does seem to be a disagreement between authorities over how
>postcodes are defined, but the Royal Mail rule is that a single road has a
single
>postcode for a 'walk'
>group, so longer roads will be broken down ( and if one side of a road is
on a
>different 'walk' then it will have a different postcode ). Where a group of
>roads in a small enough area, then the 'road' will be the main route that
they
>all link to, and the 'sub-road' is secondary information ... but THAT is an
area
>where council LLPG officers may quote different postcodes to the one listed
>in PAF.

Do we care about this? I say no. Just go out and put some house numbers on
buildings and you will see how easy it is to add the majority of postcodes
using the Copdepoint data. Job done, mostly end of story. We don't need
anyone/anything else.

>One thing that has been established is that a google lookup of a postcode
may
>give a number of properties on the related road and so provide the missing
>information to link the postcode to a physical road.

Don't go there

Cheers
Andy