[Talk-GB] Administrative Borders

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 13:05:37 GMT 2011

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> On 01/21/11 13:36, Andrew wrote:
>>> as  streams and rivers that form part of the boundaries need to be
>>> integrated.
>>
>> What do you mean by that?
>
> If the centreline of the river (or a road, or a coastline) *is* the
> boundary, then you do *not* want a separate way in the OSM database
> describing the boundary; you want a multipolygon describing the boundary
> where one part of the multipolygon hull is the river (or road, or
> coastline).

The problem with that is it requires the dividing way be broken up into sections
that only make sense for the boundary? Fragmenting a way simply because there is
some arbitrary break seems just as wrong, and a SEPARATE way that simply follows
another way for a short distance still seems a lot more logical to me,
especially where - for example - the way is some arbitrary mid point of a
physical object that is actually mapped by an area anyway. One would not be
using the boundary of that area as that IS the wrong 'way'.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL