[Talk-GB] Tags for waterways

Chris Moss moschris at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 21:54:53 GMT 2011

I'm just trying to understand the tagging scheme and have a few questions.

1. The UK waterways project page
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_Kingdom_Waterways> says
the tagging scheme is Key:waterways . But there are other tags which
could helpfully be listed there, including Key:lock, Key:mooring,
Key:boat, Key:tunnel, Key:leisure. Is there some reason these aren't
listed or can I add them? Are there others?

2. That page says issues include "is it navigable by powered craft?" but
I can't find the relevant tag. Key:boat only relates to access as far as
I can see, not to the type of boat. This could be canoe, rowing boat,
powered boat, ship, ... Is this important?

3. On the River Thames <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/River_Thames>
page there's a discussion of tracing the main flows. On any canalised
river there is one route for the flow (over a weir) and one for boats.
There's often a roped-off section above the weir, the weir itself and
some difficult to determine distance below the weir that is unnavigable
and should presumably be marked "boat:no" with the rest marked boat:yes.
Is this sufficient or is there some other requirement?

Chris