[Talk-GB] OS OpenData and ODbL OK

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Jul 4 13:53:24 BST 2011

Good news.

I hope that helps a number of UK contributors who have been uncertain as
to whether they can accept the new contributor terms because their
contributions are derived in part from OS OpenData. Unless you have used
Code-Point Open data, unequivocally, yes you can.

Following my correspondence and  a follow-up informal meeting by Henk
Hoff, I am now pleased to announce that the licensing group of the
Ordnance Survey has explicitly considered any licensing conflict between
their license and ODbL and "has no objections to geodata derived in part
from OS OpenData being released under the Open Database License 1.0."
At the moment, this excludes Code-Point Open, (postcode) data since they
are awaiting a response from Royal Mail who have rights in that dataset.

Pending the Royal Mail response, the OS may well also add a specific
ODbL compatibility clause.

If permitted, I will make some of the correspondence public so that you
can see the exact question asked and the response.

I would like to thank the Ordnance Survey for their kind consideration
and the speed in which they were able to give a response.

Regards,
Michael Collinson
License Working Group