[Talk-GB] Copyright issues of checking details on other websites

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Jul 5 10:51:07 BST 2011

Tom Chance wrote:
> So I suspect it's potentially breaching copyright, and a matter of
> judgement as to whether it's worth the risk. For example, if you
> were copying in data from a commercial web site whose business
> model was based around that data (like a listing of pubs) you
> might get yourself and OSM into some trouble. On the other
> hand, copying in some basic contact details for a local church
> or restaurant off their own web site is unlikely to cause any
> trouble!

Exactly that.

If you want a very very broad rule of thumb, you could ask "am I checking
these contact details against a database of contact details?".

If so (e.g. tesco.com list of their stores, beerintheevening.com list of
pubs, etc.), then don't do it.

If not (e.g. an individual 'contact us' page on a one-off shop), you'll be
fine.

cheers
Richard