[Talk-GB] Copyright issues of checking details on other websites

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 14:03:14 BST 2011

On 05/07/2011 10:51, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Tom Chance wrote:
>> So I suspect it's potentially breaching copyright, and a matter of
>> judgement as to whether it's worth the risk. For example, if you
>> were copying in data from a commercial web site whose business
>> model was based around that data (like a listing of pubs) you
>> might get yourself and OSM into some trouble. On the other
>> hand, copying in some basic contact details for a local church
>> or restaurant off their own web site is unlikely to cause any
>> trouble!
> Exactly that.
>
> If you want a very very broad rule of thumb, you could ask "am I checking
> these contact details against a database of contact details?".
>
> If so (e.g. tesco.com list of their stores, beerintheevening.com list of
> pubs, etc.), then don't do it.
>
> If not (e.g. an individual 'contact us' page on a one-off shop), you'll be
> fine.
>
> cheers
> Richard
>

> --
I have a rule of thumb about this: if I've checked against the website
of the business/church/organisation I add this link in a tag in addition
to any address/name info. I hope this a) offers a degree of reciprocity;
and b) enables other mappers to find the same details for verification.
In general I do this to check some specific details, working out the
denomination of inner city churches is often a bit tricky, and I might
check things like the postcode against my deduction from CodePoint Open.

Other times I'll do this are when photomapping is inappropriate, so the
website is giving what the ad-men call 'prompted recall'.

Jerry