[Talk-GB] OS OpenData and ODbL OK

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jul 20 17:25:11 BST 2011

Robert Whittaker (OSM) wrote:
> There's a draft statement in the LWG minutes a few
> weeks ago [2]. I wonder if LWG got round to approving this
> at their most recent meeting...

They have now done so!

"The intent of the Contributor Terms as regards contributions that come from
or are derived from third parties is:

"1) To ask the contributor to be *reasonably* certain that such data can be
distributed under the specific specific licenses, as explicitly listed in
clause 3 of the contributor terms:  CC-BY-SA 2.0 and ODbL 1.0. We also
stress "reasonably certain" rather than "must" because we recognise that
most contributors are not lawyers and do not have access to one. If in
doubt, consult the wiki or mailing lists to see what the community thinks or
knows.

"2) To give the OSM community and the OSMF the ability to remove data that
should not be distributed as part of the OSM database.

"Should the license change in the future, continued distribution of some
data that comes from or is derived from third parties may no longer be
possible. If this happens, it will have to be removed. This will be the
responsibility of OSMF and the OSM community at that time. It is not
necessary for current contributors to make guesses."

(from https://docs.google.com/View?id=dd9g3qjp_123cdchck62&pli=1)

cheers
Richard