[Talk-GB] Trail markers

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Jul 21 12:23:44 BST 2011

On 21/07/2011 09:46, Dave F. wrote:
> On 20/07/2011 22:48, SomeoneElse wrote:
>> A couple of days ago I spotted a couple of marked trails that I'd not
>> seen before...
>
> What did it look like & where was it?

The first one is here:

The sign is a black and white cavalier-type bloke on a white background
- can't remember if he's got a hat on or not.  It looks a bit like the
bloke off the McEwan's Export bottle:
http://www.thepubshoppe.com/sc_images/products/795_image.jpg

There's no name on the sign, and it's not the "Bonnie Prince Charlie
Walk" that runs west from Derby, which has different labelling.

The second is here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.135845&lon=-1.343144&zoom=18&layers=M
and the sign seems to point south down a permissive path or southeast.

It's a brown sign with lots of small black miners' lamps round the
outside.  Although it's on the "Five Pits Trail" I've not seen any of
that sign elsewhere on that trail and that trail is labelled differently
- big purple "Derbyshire" wooden name signs and smaller "public
footpath"-style signs with the name on it.

The third is here, pointing east:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.030816&lon=-1.305601&zoom=18&layers=M
It's a red or orange "dragon type thing" on a white background.
(locals are advised not to approach that from the west as access is
through a yard containing a dog that took a lump out of my leg).

Also, there are some on the east-west path roughly here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.33287&lon=-1.29107&zoom=17&layers=M
There's one with a waterwheel on it (red on white, from memory), and one
with a yellow R on a green background.  These are in addition to the
"Rotherham Ring Route" and "Rowbotham's Round" which also run along part
of that, and have different signs.

Cheers,
Andy