[Talk-GB] Maxspeed conundrum

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Jul 29 14:11:46 BST 2011

I suggest that any 'temporary' speed limit change that will last more than 6
months could reasonably be tagged in maxspeed. Shorter periods should
probably use a maxspeed:temporary or some other suitable overriding tag?

Fyi, I have used 'proposed:maxspeed' to hold the intended new value where
signals are being introduced. 'construction:maxspeed' would I guess be
appropriate where work has started. I have also used construction:lanes for
sections of the M25 where the number of lanes is changing from 3 to 4. Also
construction:oneway=no for a section of the A11 which will become a 2-way
road when the A11 dualling is complete.

Here are some examples:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/4546874 (proposed:maxspeed)
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/26295971 (construction:lanes)

If we go with the above speed limit tagging then it might be worth updating
the ITO speed limit view to show temporary and planned changes to speed
limits.

Regards,

Peter