[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis: highlighting "missing" roads over those without a name

Graham Stewart graham at dalmuti.net
Fri Jun 10 10:37:02 BST 2011

Peter (et al),

I think everyone agrees that the OSM Analysis Summary (
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/osm_analysis/main ) is extremely
useful for gauging our efforts and highlighting areas that need work -
even if there is clearly some disagreement about how we then use the OS
data on the map.

I was just idly wondering if we could also use a similar comparison to
indicate the number of roads listed in OS Locator that apparently have
NO corresponding way drawn in OSM?
(i.e. not just "no way present with a matching name", but "no way that
comes remotely close to matching the Locator bounding box, regardless of
name")

This might help identify any areas that remain completely unmapped and
allow contributors (survey-purists and armchair-tracers alike) to focus
their efforts.

Graham

PS (obviously VectorMap might be a more useful comparison, but I figure
you already have the OS Locator comparison algorithm written so it
hopefully wouldn't be such a big change)