[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Fri Jun 10 15:04:45 BST 2011

Someone else wrote:

> Grr.  "100% road name completion" has become in this thread "100%
> completeness".

Which of course is completely different. Taking just one metric
(.osm file size), I extracted the highways from the current Tendring
district (road and name complete) .osm extract file I have here and
the highways account for just 7.5% of the full extract. And there
are still lots of landuse areas and houses to add.

(I only thought to try this as I found myself surprised that the
Tendring.osm extract has grown 5% since April with only about 3
newly built roads added in that time, so most of it is down to
address information and houses being added).

There are issues with traced roads, perhaps more so from StreetView
than from Bing (depending on image quality) - I've seen a number of
Skobbler/MapDust bugs from outside this area (where some tracing had
been done - I forget where now, but somewhere I was visiting so I
had it open in Potlatch 2) where the report is "wrong way down a one
way street". In some cases you can make out road markings in bing
which might confirm such a report, but unless people are monitoring
every area where they trace for such reports they won't get picked
up, and might still need a visit to verify if they are picked up.
Turn restrictions are another report where you are unlikely to be
able to make out the no right turns from above, and need a visit to
confirm (one that annoys me is "missing roundabout" - I usually have
to visit to check only to find it is a false report).

I have traced some roads, but always add a source tag so I can see
they still need visiting, much as I did when I started mapping when
source was NPE. As far as I know I've restricted that to areas where
I used to live, work, or regularly visit though, so have some local
knowledge. Similarly OS Locator names, and am trying again to visit
any such roads over time to remove those tags (which I notice I'm
not perfect at doing thanks to an ITO overlay mentioned here
recently - e.g. one road I've collected all the house numbers and
other details during a survey, but forgot to remove the source tag;
another road was where I later spent a day on a training course, and
again the name is right but I've not removed the source now I've
verified it).

Ed (Loach, not Avis)