[Talk-GB] OSM Governance: How Should Decisions Be Made?

SK53 on OSM SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 10:14:51 BST 2011

On 13/06/2011 00:38, TimSC wrote:

> The OSMF is currently reviewing its role in OSM. I want to know the
> view of ordinary mapping contributors about how decisions should be
> made in OSM. Is OSMF a "supporting" body? If so what does "supporting"
> mean in this context? Is it a "governing" body? What decisions should
> be left to individuals and what decisions left to collective decision,
> made by OSMF, on behalf of mappers and users?
>
> The order of the options has been randomised. Apologies if I missed
> your real wishes, please comment.
>
> http://doodle.com/s2zg64vyaup72dcw
>
> (Sorry for the cross post if you have already seen this in talk.)

Dear Tim,

Rightly or wrongly, I believe you have a personal agenda concerning this
issue.

I also believe that this type of poll is hopelessly unrepresentative
(see the Pharyngula blog for countless examples).

I would also expect OSM-F to make announcements about consideration of
changes to their role, and ask for formal responses.

OSM governance, however passioniate you feel about it, does not seem to
me to belong here on the talk-gb list. I do not subscribe to talk,
talk-legal and many other lists, because I do not want my inbox to be
full of mails which have little or no relevance to my interests.
Furthermore many of these emails seem to me to be written by people with
little interest in constructive discussion, and a great interest in
destructive discussion.

Please do not start cross-posting about an non talk-gb issue here.

Regards,

Jerry