[Talk-GB] OSM Analysis New Data and bot

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Jun 15 14:24:10 BST 2011

Craig Loftus wrote:
> Richard can you give the following URLs a go?

Thanks for setting that up - really encouraging. But good news and bad, I'm
afraid.

The good news is that P2 can get the files from the server no problem. The
bad news is that Ordnance Survey appear to have broken it.

When I was originally testing the feature I was using some VectorMap
District files I had sitting around from the original release. These were
supplied in files of 10km x 10km each (e.g. SO99).

However, I now see that OS (as of March, it seems) have started to supply
VMD in 100km x 100km chunks. As a result, P2 will load TQ_Airport fine, but
not (say) SK_AdministrativeBoundary, which is a whopping 14Mb: Flash Player
tries to process it and times out with a pitiful "please spare me this
torture" message. SK_Road is about 175Mb. I think my computer would catch
fire if I tried to load that.

My first thought is that it might be possible to use ogr2ogr's -clipsrc
option to make 10km x 10km tiles out of the 100km x 100km ones pretty
easily. What do you reckon?

cheers
Richard