[Talk-GB] OS Grid Reference search & Vector Map District Mirror

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:18:19 BST 2011

I've quickly put together a simple tool to search Nominatim for place
names and return the corresponding OS Grid reference.

http://craigloftus.net/os_grid/

If anyone interested or bored could try and break it, or suggest
features, that would be grand. One feature I plan to implement is
return all the grid squares for a given area.

At the moment the tool is probably of no use at all, but eventually it
will be integrated with the Vector Map District mirror which Richard F
and I have been working on. The mirror is actually up, but there is
still no index, and most files are not usable with Potlatch because
they are simply too big. We're working on fixing this.

Still, it is easier probably easier than downloading from the OS. Say
for some reason you want glasshouses in Oxford:

http://craigloftus.net/os_grid/?q=Oxford (To get the SP)
http://vmd.craigloftus.net/SP/SP_Glasshouse.shp (7 KB, Building would be ~80 MB)

Cheers,
Craig