[Talk-GB] Southwark update

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Mar 3 14:27:12 GMT 2011

On 3 March 2011 03:21, Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Tom, I've noticed you've added a large number of trees with species details
> supplied by Southwark Council. Some of the trees appear a bit random
> eg http://osm.org/go/euuuYWULe--
> Whats the story behind this? I wondering if they're from Southwarks TPO
> list? or  list of plum trees?

I got the council's tree database off them with permission to use it.

I've not put them all in as the default Mapnik render gives them too high a
priority and you end up with almost no road names at certain zoom levels. I
started in my patch of Southwark (East Dulwich) and then stopped when I
noticed this problem: http://osm.org/go/euuuX2dM

I've submitted a bug report on trac:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/3511

In order to be useful for non-experts, I've also tried to crowdsource the
common names for all of the species in the data set and add those in, along
with any fruit/nuts they produce for people like me who are interested in
foraging. The work-in-progress is here: http://bit.ly/hvv0Ok (help
appreciated!)

To test it out, I tried importing the trees in the Prunus genus that have
edible fruit (plums, damsons, cherries, etc.) You can see the results pulled
out into a KML file overlaid on OSM maps here: http://bit.ly/fp6LJF

Those are the slightly random trees you might notice.

> Noticed Southwark are one of the better councils for providing maps on
> their website showing important info (hopefully they can start using OSM as
> the base map)

Alas, they were considering this for some time but really wanted a dataset
with building outlines and I've been too slow in my mass-tracing efforts. In
the end they went for a third party product based on OS Mastermap.

But the council are still interested in OSM as a data source & repository,
e.g. some work I'm doing with Southwark and on a pan-London level to map
food growing spaces.

Regards,
Tom