[Talk-GB] Southwark update

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Mar 3 15:45:01 GMT 2011

On 3 March 2011 14:58, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> Tom Chance <tom at ...> writes:
>
> >[Southwark council using OSM]
>
> >Alas, they were considering this for some time but really wanted a dataset
> with
> >building outlines and I've been too slow in my mass-tracing efforts. In
> the end
> >they went for a third party product based on OS Mastermap.
>
> Out of interest do you know how precise they wanted building outlines?  In
> other
> words might they have been satisified with the blocky rectangles of OS
> Street
> View, or would manual tracing from Bing be needed, or would even that be
> too
> poor-quality?

I think just getting to Street View might have satisfied them earlier on,
they were considering OSM at all levels up to the two most detailed where it
would switch to standard mastermap tiles. But then their chosen contractor
came along with a snazzy product that will do all the levels in the same
style and of course the transition from the third to the second lowest level
is better from the same product than from traced streetview to real
mastermap.

I did try a process for automatically creating OSM data from Streetview and
then manually checking + importing with the aid of surveys, but when Bing
came out I switched to the much more laborious process od doing every
building from Bing+some surveys for the north of the borough where dense
commercial areas are just shown on Streetview as big useless brown blobs.

Down my way I've used both + surveys to do complete addressing, which takes
an absolute age.

Tom