[Talk-GB] tagging for average speed cameras

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Mar 4 12:31:42 GMT 2011

On 4 March 2011 12:18, Robert Scott <lists at humanleg.org.uk> wrote:

> On Friday 04 March 2011, Peter Miller wrote:
> > Any thoughts about how should we tag highways equipped with average
>  speed
> > camera enforcement?
> >
> > Do you think that it is sufficient to just add 'highway=speed_camera' to
> the
> > way in question?
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dspeed_camera
> >
> > If so I will update the wiki with details that instant cameras should be
> on
> > nodes and average cameras on ways.
>
> Dare I say it, this _is_ the right situation to use a relation. The camera
> nodes between which the average speed is calculated could be added to the
> relation in the correct order.
>
> Then again, this is the sort of detail that I'm sceptical we'll ever reach
> in openstreetmap in a remotely uniform (i.e. useful) way, so I'm not sure of
> the value of this level of complexity.

Relations don't really seem to be necessary really. Responding to a later
comment. Average speed cameras can monitor a network of roads so one can't
assume that there is an order in which a vehicle will pass the cameras.

Surely a simple fag such as 'speed_camera=average' to the relevant highways
would be the logical. One could then add details such as
'speed_camera:type=Specs' or whatever. After all, the speed limit is on the
way. Possibly the best tag would be 'maxspeed:enforcement=average'. That
might work well.

Regards,

Peter