[Talk-GB] Viability of huge shapefile of LandForm Panorama contours in Mapnik?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 09:11:59 GMT 2011

Hi,

Sometime, perhaps over Easter, I'd like to do something I've been meaning to do for a while, and that is create "pseudo-Landranger" maps by combining OS Vector Map District, contours from OS Landform Panorama, and OSM footpaths.

However, to do this I need to transform the contour data from DXF into something more usable, e.g. shapefile. Apparently gdal can now do this.
What I'm a little concerned about, though, is the viability of creating one huge shapefile containing all the contours for the UK, which would be necessary to prevent the Mapnik XML file getting messy and having huge numbers of small shapefile layers. As an alternative I could create separate shapefiles for say, Wales, S England, N England and Scotland.
Is this likely to be feasible.

Thanks,
Nick