[Talk-GB] Loch Lomond National Park sorry for 'Giro Bay' map

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 10 13:26:12 GMT 2011

> (Hopefully not any OSM contributors or anyone at the O.S., anyway...)

Really, that doesn't seem fair? Some of us already have numerous
features all over Scotland named after us.

More seriously, I often wonder when it stopped being acceptable to
just name places? For each place name in OS, did they canvas locals,
or just ask a guy in the pub what he called that hillock just past the
windmill? Is it more appropriate in 'less mapped' countries for
mappers to add their names to places?

If we take the 'gold standard' of mapping to be done by a (hyper)
local mapper, and up until some point in time it was the locals who
gave names to places, if the mapper has a name for a place why not add
it?

(I'm sure I'm covering old pub meet-up conversations here, but I
couldn't resist)

Craig