[Talk-GB] OS and OSM

Steve Doerr steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 16:34:13 GMT 2011

On 11/03/2011 14:55, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Steve Doerr
> <steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk>  wrote:
>>

>> A halfway house between bulk imports and ignoring OS OpenData entirely would
>> be providing background images in the editors. I don't see why this
>> shouldn't be done for pretty much all the OS data sets. (I admit, though,
>> that I have no idea of the technical complexity that would be involved.)
> We've got OS StreetView and the ITO Locator layer in Potlatch2
> already, and they are very useful. I'd expect some of the vector
> products when the p2 vector background handling is more mature.
>
> Are there any in particular you were thinking of?

Well, part of my point was that we non-technical mappers need to see the
data sets overlaying OSM data first to know if they're useful. That's
why I'd love there to be a quick way to get them all there first. But if
I had to choose I'd probably start with Boundary Line. I sort of have a
feeling Code-Point Open would be useful, but I can't immediately say
why. It's clear that people with the technical skills are making good
use of the VectorMap District. I'm also curious to see Meridian 2,
although it's apparently very simplified geometry. Maybe there's even
value in seeing the gazetteer names overlaid on OSM data, though with
only 1 km resolution it's perhaps not going to add much.

--
Steve