[Talk-GB] OS VectorMap District with LandForm Panorama contours overlay

Phil Endecott spam_from_osmgb at chezphil.org
Sun Mar 13 14:44:15 GMT 2011

Hi Nick & Luke,

Luke Smith wrote:
> Funnily enough I've been working on something similar now for a while.
> It's not perfect and needs a bit more work, but I've uploaded a couple
> of tiles (one London, the other Ben Nevis).
>
> http://www.grough.co.uk/lib/documents/tmp/lss/nn17.jpg
> http://www.grough.co.uk/lib/documents/tmp/lss/tq28.jpg
>
> That's been put together using a mixture of OS StreetView (buildings),
> OS VectorMap District (roads, forests, water, crags), OS Landform
> Panorama (contours, relief), OS BoundaryLine (civil parish names), OS
> Strategi (national park boundaries, mountain range names) and
> OpenStreetMap (point names, footpaths, parks, schools etc).

Here are some of mine:

     http://chezphil.org/tmp/vectormap/lakes_small.jpeg
     http://chezphil.org/tmp/vectormap/borrowdale.jpeg
     http://chezphil.org/tmp/vectormap/3dlakes.jpeg

What tags are you each using to extract OSM footpaths, tracks etc?

When I tried to do this, I found it difficult to get right: if you
include too much you end up overlaying e.g. tracks on top of things
that are shown on the OS data, and if you include less you miss
things.  For example, Luke, I notice that you have tracks near the Fort
William distillery that I don't have.  Last time I used something like
this (PSEUDO-CODE):

     if (highway=="track") {
       path_type += track;
     }
     if (highway=="bridleway" || horse=="yes" || designation=="public_bridleway"
         || highway=="cycleway") {
       path_type += bridleway;
     } else if (highway=="footway" || foot=="yes" ||
designation=="public_footpath") {
       path_type += footpath;
     } else if (horse=="permissive") {
       path_type += permissive_bridleway;
     } else if (foot=="permissive") {
       path_type += permissive_footpath;
     } else if (highway=="path") {
       path_type += path;
     }

Luke, do the "BEN NEVIS" and "AONACH MOR" labels come from Strategi?
I've not looked at that.  Bizarrely, the VectorMap data doesn't seem to
have the name "Ben Nevis" at all; many other large mountains are also
missing or mis-placed and too small.  I am hoping that this sort of
thing will be fixed in their next release (when will that be?), but if
not, maybe using the Strategi data is one possibility.

Cheers,  Phil.