[Talk-GB] inferred single-carriageway NSL?

MarkS OSM at redcake.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 20:08:41 GMT 2011

On 16/03/2011 19:31, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Richard Bullock wrote:
>> Do we *really* need to be tagging national speed limits on individual
>> ways?
>> E.g. the vast majority of roads ought to be one of;
>> *residential roads subject to 30mph
>> *rural roads subject to NSL
>> Perhaps we could tag the ones that differ from the above - and let
>> post-processors add national defaults as necessary?
>
> Spot on.
>
> cheers
> Richard

I use to think this but here in North Hampshire they've been scattering
speed limits all over the place and to settle on a default would be
quite hard. For example none of the single carriage way A-roads near me
have the national speed limit on them (rural or not).

The advantage of a tag on each way (whatever it might be) is that I know
what the speed limit on that road is; no tag could easily mean it just
hasn't been surveyed.