[Talk-GB] Postcode finder based on OSM data

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Wed Mar 16 20:12:06 GMT 2011

On 16/03/11 19:51, Matt Williams wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> For the last week I've been working on a sort of 'replacement' for the
> Royal Mail's postcode/address finder (you know, the one with the ~5
> queries a day limit without an account) [1] but based entirely on data
> in the OSM database. You can find my site at [2].
>
> It's features are:
> - Covers the whole of Britain (based on the Geofabrik great_britain.osm.pbf
>    file from 15 March)
> - Can search by full or partial postcode
> - Can search for street and house number or just for street name
> - Largely based on the Karlsruhe Schema (including the associatedStreet
>    relation for grouping houses together)
> - Has a tagging guide [3] to help document the tags the system uses
> - Fully open-source [4]
> - 'Error' reporting - these are currently only shown at the bottom of the page
>    with the error. I will probably make a map out of this at some point.
>
> I currently measure about a quarter of a million 'address points' -
> that is objects with a postcode or with both a housenumber and a
> street (associates street or addr:street). This compares with the
> reported 28 million entries in the Royal Mail's PAF. I will provide a
> more detailed breakdown when I get a chance.
>
> Of course in its current state it's not a competitor for the PAF but
> I'm hoping that the "if you render it, they will map it" rule will
> apply here to encourage people to add postcodes and addresses. I guess
> a good postcode to look at is B72 [5] given the excellent work done at
> [6]. I've also been doing a lot in CV4 so that should be quite good
> too.
>
> Please take a look a the site and give me any feedback on anything you
> like or don't like. As I said this is only about a week's part-time
> work so it's unpolished in many places but I figure that RERO is a
> good idea here.
>
> There are a number of features I am still planning on implementing
> which are recoded at [7,8].
>
> The first time you connect to the site it might take a while to load
> but after that it should be snappy enough.
>
> Regards,
> Matt Williams
>
> http://milliams.com
>
> [1] http://postcode.royalmail.com
> [2] http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/
> [3] http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/tagging/
> [4] http://gitorious.org/postcodefinder
> [5] http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/search/?postcode=B72
> [6] http://blog.mappa-mercia.org/2011/02/whats-in-postcode.html
> [7] http://gitorious.org/postcodefinder/postcode-analyser/blobs/master/TODO.rst
> [8] http://gitorious.org/postcodefinder/postcodefinder/blobs/master/TODO.rst

For anyone wanting to add postcodes to addresses you can use the
postcode layer in JOSM or Potlatch 2 described here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Chillly/codepoint

If your postcode area is not yet in the layer (see the list on the page
above, send me a message off list and I'll add it. I decided not to add
them all until I knew how the site would perform.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly