[Talk-GB] inferred single-carriageway NSL?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Mar 17 09:40:15 GMT 2011

On 17 March 2011 08:52, Ed Loach <ed at loach.me.uk> wrote:

> Peter wrote:
> > Then there are the '30mph' which should for consistency be '30
> mph' (with a space).
>
> Kevin replied:
> > I don't see the point of editing just for consistency. Developers
> should handle
> > leading/trailing spaces, or the lack thereof, and different
> capitalisation, as
> > without any input validation the data will always be inconsistent.
>
> I agree with Kevin on this point. JOSM's mph maxspeed highlighting
> doesn't care about the space and anything that uses the RegEx
> expressions on the Key:maxspeed page doesn't care either (I modified
> the wiki page the other day having noticed that someone had added
> "Note the space" to add "Which is optional" having tested the RegEx
> expressions in question).

Fyi, I noted the recommendation to have a space before doing a lot of work
in Suffolk on speed limits using that standard.

You should note that PotLatch2 uses the space version when using the
'simple' interface.

> Certainly (for consistency) all roads in Tendring with maxspeed tags
> don't have a space (and those that chriscf changed I changed back
> when removing the FIXME:nsl tags) - mainly as that's how I started
> adding them, and my Maperitive rules for maxspeed highlighting
> didn't handle the space (I've amended the rules since when I
> realised why lengths of road that had been highlighted weren't after
> chriscf's changes), though checking Mapinfo it seems I might be in a
> minority (e.g. ~32000 ways are "30 mph" compared with ~17000 which
> are "30mph").

And anyone who uses PotLatch will be increasing the preponderance of the '30
mph' version.

All I ask is that we have a consistent recommendation across OSM for units.
Ie, do units have a space before them or not as a preference?

Can I suggest you adjust the recommendation back again?

Regards,

Peter