[Talk-GB] LandForm Panorama + VectorMap District + OSM Footpaths : Method

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Mar 18 14:54:32 GMT 2011

-----"Phil Endecott" <spam_from_osmgb at chezphil.org> wrote: -----
To: <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>
From: "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_osmgb at chezphil.org>
Date: 18/03/2011 02:12PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] LandForm Panorama + VectorMap District + OSM	Footpaths : Method

>Hi Nick,

>>Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>> Have put up a wiki page detailing how the 'pseudo-Landranger' map at
>>
>> http://www.free-map.org.uk/expts/vmdlfp200/
>>
>> was created...
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/VMD_plus_LFP_plus_OSM

>Can you say approximately how long it takes, and which steps take most time?

>Regards,  Phil.

Hello Phil,

 Can't remember exact values off hand but the import into PostGIS was  pretty quick, of the order of seconds, I think - while the Mapnik  rendering of the contours was a bit slower - maybe around 30 mins per  100x100km square. Need to check though.

 The big problem is not so much the home generation of the tiles, but uploading the tiles to the server as  they're rather big. Did that by uploading from work where there's a much  faster upload speed than home broadband.

 Nick