[Talk-GB] new ITO Map service in beta

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Fri Mar 18 16:41:38 GMT 2011

On 18 March 2011 15:15, Gregory Williams <
gregory.williams at purplegeodesoftware.co.uk> wrote:

> Peter,
>

> A great service. It’ll certainly help me with keeping track of where extra
> details still need to be mapped.
>

> I’ve noticed these small issues:
>
> -       Ferry routes appear to be highlighted in red on the Water layer,
> but this doesn’t match anything in the key.
> http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=3&bbox=100067.24713886814,6641995.275980514,184201.48415728885,6686900.195601286&layers=&base_style=&clear_map_history=true

Yes - the keys needs bit of work - I added ferry routes after creating them.
I would say that the colours might benefit from the rationalisation across
different styles.

> -       At zoom level 3 on the Water layer it appears to load overlay
> tiles for that layer, but also displays the “You need to zoom in further to
> view the overlay layer” warning.
> http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=3&bbox=58000.12998157775,6619542.830379137,226268.60401842726,6709352.669620863&layers=&base_style=&clear_map_history=true
>
> That is for today only. We experiments with rendering other places and
other zoom levels before settling on what we have today. As a result we have
other tiles rendered rather randomly at present.

> -       Schools with names are incorrectly bordered with red (as Steve
> Doerr has also just pointed out):
> http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=6&bbox=119108.430780305,6666754.055789617,124366.820593955,6669560.613265983&layers=&base_style=&clear_map_history=true

We are looking into this one (and also for the point about  ignored house
numbers). Looks like a bug to us but not one which we can fix until next
week. Sorry about that.

> A layer showing lighting would also be very useful. I realise that there’s
> a similar layer on the Wikimedia Toolserver, but it doesn’t seem to get
> updated:
>

> http://toolserver.org/~osm/styles/?layers=B000F0TF0000F0FFF0000&zoom=13&lat=51.28253&lon=1.08301

I had made one of those, but it didn't have a key so I didn't release it and
I also wanted to cap the number of initial layers. It still doesn't have a
key but I have released it so you can take a peek as the servers seem to be
coping. I was also going to adjust the script to highlight the trunk road
network in grey if nothing is specified (as I do for highway lanes and speed
limits views).

To answer your other question below which you then answered yourself! (this
was 'Is it intentional that highway=unclassified and highway=residential
don’t seem to fall under “other” when they haven’t got a maxspeed tag
applied? ') the answer is yes - I felt that we could focus of capturing
speed limits for the 'through' routes for starters. No problem giving speeds
for very minor roads but the layer won't draw attention to the fact that
they are missing. I will clarify the key.

Incidentally, what has the performance been like? Has it felt slow for
anyone?

Peter

Cheers,