[Talk-GB] Postcode finder updates - postal addresses, house maps and error maps

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Sun Mar 20 21:55:42 GMT 2011

On 20 March 2011 22:21, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> On 20 March 2011 15:06, Matt Williams <lists at milliams.com> wrote:
>> I've made a few updates to the postcode finder
>
> All good stuff. Any chance of you applying the microformat mark-up I
> supplied in the recent thread, please? Do let me know if it doesn't
> suit all cases and I'll happily assist in finding a resolution.

Still on my TODO list :)

Putting the 'postal address' on the house information page is the
first step in this direction but other features/bugs kept getting in
the way.

I did look into using Microdata for it since I prefer its syntax but
the http://data-vocabulary.org things seem to be restricted to
addresses for organisations since it's a Google led project and that's
what they want to collect information on. I'll stick with Microformats
for now and maybe add Microdata as well when there's an appropriate
vocabulary.

I did wonder what I should do when I have links 'in the way' of the
text. For example I have HTML like:

8 <a href="http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/38848696/">Frogmore
Lane</a><br/>

I guess for the postcode I just put the <span class="postal-code">
itself?). But for the "street-address" I would have to put the <span>
around the whole first line, thereby encompassing the <a></a>.

What's recommended here? Putting a 'clean' version elsewhere on the
page and marking it hidden (seems hacky)?

Geo is less of a problem but I don't really want the coordinates
appearing on my page as text. Should I just mark these as hidden
(seems acceptably hacky)?

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com