[Talk-GB] Postcode finder updates - postal addresses, house maps and error maps

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 00:04:38 GMT 2011

On 20 March 2011 22:16, Steve Doerr <steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/03/2011 21:34, Matt Williams wrote:

>> Yes, you're right that it's an overly harsh error message and it's by
>> far the most common 'error' in my database. I do however want to flag
>> these as, while they are certainly useful, they are not 'true
>> postcodes'.
>
> I agree with the last point: 'postcode' is a misnomer in these cases. This
> form of addressing existed for decades before 'postcodes' were invented.
> 'W9' (or 'W.9') would have been referred to as a 'postal district', not a
> 'postcode' or 'postal code'. Of course, if you go back far enough,  even the
> numbers didn't exist, e.g.'10 Downing Street, S.W.'.

The "postal district" of where I live was Birmingham 22; the "postcode
district" (to use the correct term) for the same area is B44. Other
parts of Birmingham 22 are now B42. This has been the case ever since
postcodes were introduced.

If the full postcode is "B44 9AB", then "B44 9" is the "postcode
sector" and "B44 9AB" is the "postcode unit".

For completeness, "B" is the "postcode area".

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_postcodes#Format and the "B44"
image thereon.

--
Andy Mabbett