[Talk-GB] Postcode finder updates - postal addresses, house maps and error maps

James Hogan james at albanarts.com
Tue Mar 22 06:55:32 GMT 2011

Hi Matt,

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 04:06:05PM +0100, Matt Williams wrote:
> I've made a few updates to the postcode finder [1]. There's a mixture
> of fixes suggested by you people and some other features I'd been
> planning on implementing anyway.
>
> The new things:
> - Postal address-like info on house pages [2]. It's not very extensive and for
>   many houses you'll only get housenumber, streetname and postalcode but for
>   ones with addr:city you'll get that too. I wish I had a nice way of getting
>   more info.
> - Map of house location on house info pages [2]
> - Error map [3].
>
> Things suggested in the other thread:
> - Case-insensitive search
> - Add addr:city to search results
> - Badly formed postcodes are now errors
>
> The errors on the map are the same as those which are shown on the
> house and street pages. Of course these 'errors' should be taken with
> a pinch of salt but make what use of them you can.If anyone has any
> suggestions for things to flag or ignore, please let me know.
>
> The error map can also be a bit slow due to the database queries
> needed so be patient.

Looks like very useful stuff!

I've been mapping using relation:street [1], for example see the post
code YO31 0XN and streets around there. It doesn't appear to show up in
the error page though or in the search. Can support for relation:street
be easily added?

Cheers
James

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:street