[Talk-GB] Other Route with Public Access (ORPA)

Robert Whittaker (OSM) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:40:27 GMT 2011

On 23 March 2011 12:47, Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can't speak for all authorities, but mine issue such data on top of OS maps.
>> There's been a lot of talk, & I believe the consensus was that the OS map
>> 'contaminated' the data & was not usable.
>
> OS have said they don't claim copyright in such instances IIRC. Does
> someone have a link?

The only case of this that I'm aware of is the specific case of the
"Definitive Statement" -- a legal text document listing public rights
of way with route descriptions -- that must be prepared by each county
council. OS have stated that they don't claim any IP rights in those:
http://blog.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/2010/04/os-opendata-goes-live/comment-page-1/#comment-536
This is important since the "Definitive Statement" is prepared in
conjunction with a "Definitive Map", which is -- you've guessed it --
a set of lines drawn on top of an OS map. It's therefore possible that
the description of the route and any grid references it contains
contains would be at least partly derived from the OS map.

This OS waiver wouldn't apply to the "List of Streets" held by a local
authority. However, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to use the
content of an email from a local authority telling us that such and
such a road/track that we enquired about, is a public highway with
reference number U1234. Provided the description of the route of the
road has come from us, and not from an OS map, I'd have thought we
should be fine. The status of the route is a fact after all. Though
maybe others will be more cautious over this. Maybe we should ask OS,
just to be sure.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker