[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey Public Sector Mapping Agreement

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Mar 24 08:47:25 GMT 2011

I would try to secure a face-to-face meeting with your council's GIS team,
and separately with any teams that are custodians of other data you're
interested in. Ask to talk generally about OpenStreetMap and raise this in
the meeting.

I've got a reasonable relationship now with a few people in Southwark
Council and while they tend to be pretty busy I have occasionally got some
useful data releases from them. It's a lot easier when you have a good
relationship and they understand where you're coming from. I'm pretty
confident that they'll use the PSMA clause once it comes into force.

It also helps to mention how OSM could help them... don't oversell it (they
already pay a license for a superior mapping product that they're not going
to drop) but point to examples like James at Surrey Heath; the CycleStreets
service for councils; the OS Locator fixup helped by ITO's and Rob Scott's
tools; work I'm doing with the GLA and councils to map food growing; etc.
Let them find applications that might be useful - in my experience councils
can take months or even years to do that but it's better than trying to tell
them what they could/should do with OSM.

Finally, I wouldn't start a petition until I'd tried that initial approach,
and I'd use it first to try and demonstrate local demand without antagonism
(so get fellow OSM-ers in the council area, businesses, etc.)

If you wanted to do a petition, go to the local media, etc. you'd be looking
for a corporate decision higher up the food chain which could take a while
and put you in a bad position with the people who actually hold the data.

Best wishes,
Tom