[Talk-GB] Fwd: Re: Other Routes with Public Access

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:09:17 GMT 2011

Dave

I am interested in your opinion but please hold back slightly from
giving me instructions as to what to do or not do. There might be other
opinions.

My use of the verb "assume" was more to ask for other opinions - and
thank you for yours - than to claim that my personal assumption (or
anyone else's for that matter) was a valid basis for OSM work.
Assumption differs from guessing inasmuch as there needs to be at least
some basis for the former!

To help me decide where I stand, please could you provide me with the
evidence for your statement that the acronym "ORPA" is copyright to the
OS? I have not seen it registered as a trade mark or similar? but
perhaps I have missed that. Does the copyright you mention extend to the
English language phrase "other routes with public access" - I would have
thought that such a phrase would be difficult to protect with copyright?

I won't enter hear into the debate as to whether OSM should record only
and exclusively what can be seen on the ground as this has been
discussed endlessly. I suspect that your opinion is currently a minority
view. It seems to me that there are countless (in all sorts of contexts)
examples of people including in the database information that cannot be
seen on the ground e.g. the "source" tag.

Let's not get too dictatorial in this discussion!

Mike

--
*/Mike Harris/*