[Talk-GB] Ordnance Survey Public Sector Mapping Agreement

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Mar 24 16:56:19 GMT 2011

Kevin Peat <kevin at ...> writes:

>It's common to see a PRoW on a map that follows a perfectly straight line across
>moorland.
>
>Dartmoor has some of these rights of way without any actual path on the ground.
>I wouldn't want to see these in OSM unless they could somehow be marked as
>non-navigable and rendered suitably.

You could use something like

    designation=public_footpath
    highway=no
    note=Although a right of way, there is no path on the ground.

This wouldn't be rendered at all in the current OSM Mapnik tiles, which is
fine IMHO.  It would serve to record the fact that somebody has surveyed the
area (or at least looked at Bing imagery) and noted that there is no path there.
This is better than omitting it from the map altogether, which might cause
some well-meaning person to add it as a path.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>