[Talk-GB] On footpaths

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:07:28 BST 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Ed Avis wrote:
>> The general practice in this country is to use footway for paved paths in
>> cities and path for muddier countryside ones (or, perhaps, through city
>> parks).
>
> Um, no it isn't. There is absolutely no consensus for using =path in the
> countryside rather than =footway. I strongly suspect that if you analysed
> the data in the UK countryside, you would find 80% footway, 20% path.

I don't think there's consensus about using highway=path in the
countryside, but nor do I think there's much objection. Nobody's in a
rush to change all the plain highway=footway in the countryside, but
if you go there and feel highway=path is better/clearer, then nobody's
much going to object.

Whereas there's quite a lot of grumpiness about using highway=path
with access tags in towns, and I'd avoid it.