[Talk-GB] C roads

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu May 19 08:36:35 BST 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> My
> idea at the moment is that the existing "ref" tag be unambiguously defined
> to be a kind of "primary key" and to have alternative tagging for its
> apparent value. I expect this may also be the case with road names, and
> possibly other attributes as well where there is an opportunity for the
> official version to deviate from the apparent/published version. How about
> this for a hypothetical link road from the M1 to the M2:
>    ref=M1
>    signed_as:ref=M2

[...]

> General purpose renderers (including mkgmap) would give precedence to the
> signed_as values for ref and name if they exist.

This is completely back-to-front. Whatever reference the mapper sees
and the consumer wants to see should be in the ref tag surely? Why
would the one that is important 99.99% of the time be bumped to a
secondary tag and the main tag taken over for stuff that's honestly
not useful?

Cheers,
Andy