[Talk-GB] [OSM-talk] Ben's Consise Compendium of OSM issues - Tracks and there place in society

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Sat May 21 08:50:44 BST 2011

>Very basically this is all a problem becuase highway=track and highway=bridleway/byway/footway cannot both be tagged together.  They need to be understood and moved, or >duplicated into 'routes' or another key to state access.   Having them together any longer will knock 10 years off my life, I'm sure of it!  We need to either move bridleways/byways and .footways to routes or somewhere/anywhere else!, and just leave highway=track and highway=path.  Or we need to move physical things (like tracks) out of the highway key, even >though highway is apparently 'Physical', realistically it primarily states access rights.

We do: that's what the designation tag is for ;-)

Many people use highway=track, path, service, etc for the *physical* condition of the path and then designation=public_footpath,public_bridleway, etc for the rights. Or, for permissive paths, foot,horse=permissive.

Also I think Mapnik does render tracktype tags now.

Nick