[Talk-GB] Kent Open Data, KCC

TimSC mapping at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Mon May 23 18:32:12 BST 2011

I have been informed that the beta OpenKent site, with more data and
visualisation tools is here:

http://www.openkent.org.uk/

Some things that caught my eye: lists of librarys, GPs, opticians,
pharmacy, KCC offices, medway car parks, schools. This would be good for
validation, as I said.

As well as what has already been mentioned (speed limits, etc), we could
also do with lists of post offices, alchohol licensed buildings, sure
starts (kindergartens), petrol stations (or petrol storage), public
telephones*, taxi ranks*, dentists*, arts centres, public art, law
courts, crematoria, fire stations, police stations, council grave
yards*, markets*, prisons, recycling points, public toilets, places of
worship*, parks, landfills, allotments, sports centres, tourist
information offices, museums, highway maintenance depots, quarries,
planning permissions, amusements, auction licenses, animal boardings,
pet shops, tattoo shops, sex establishments, horse riding
establishments, gambling locations, zoos, trees (apparently the highway
authority has a tree database), park parks (including outside medway),
highway renaming, new highway designations, changes to rights of way,
all business premises .... did I miss anything?! If that is too much, we
can prioritise our request to the council. We might start by asking for
data that no one else has on their map and that is hard to
comprehensively survey without their information. (Remember, I am not
proposing to import anything yet, just to check against what the council
has.) Hackey council has a list of many things they license, on the web
[1], which is good for ideas.

* that is if the council holds the data.

If people can think of more data sets, we can put together a doodle poll
to find the most wanted and to provide some justification (i.e. public
demand) for us requesting the data.

Btw, I found the parish data I was looking for in OS OpenData, so no
need to pester the council for that.

TimSC

[1] http://www.hackney.gov.uk/licensing.htm