[Talk-GB] How to tag marine lights on posts

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 8 09:00:19 GMT 2011

On 07/11/2011 23:16, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> Thank you. I've used some of those, but I only saw them during
> daytime, so can't comment on the colour or pattern of the lights.
>
> I'd tagged what you all "reefs" as "islands"; I've now added "reef" as well.

I see them on the map!

According to a marine chart I have they are red lights that flash once
every 5 seconds. You will need to verify that by a survey on the ground
before adding the light data into OSM, since that chart is a copyrighted
source. Beacon/buoy lights are usually only activated after dark, so a
night trip would be required.

Do you recall whether the piles were painted a distinctive
colour/colours? This information is also useful for daylight
recognition. (using a "seamark:beacon_special_purpose:colour" tag)

For OpenSeaMap, the reefs should be tagged:

seamark:type=shoreline_construction
seamark:shoreline_construction:category=breakwater