[Talk-GB] (OT) Depressions, and projections

Phil Endecott spam_from_osmgb at chezphil.org
Mon Nov 14 16:03:05 GMT 2011

Dear All,

Two slight off-topic questions for UK map enthusiasts:

(1) Can you think of any depressions in Britain?  I.e. places where the
contour lines on the map would wind the "wrong way"?  I ask because I
recently noticed that the OS OpenData contour data is wrong around
Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh.  It looks as if the contour lines
are in the right places but their heights have been mis-labelled, as if
the height labels had been added automatically by an algorithm that
didn't expect depressions.  The gridded data is consistent with the
incorrect labelling, probably confirming that the gridded data is
derived from the contours, rather than vice-versa.  The only other
depressions that I can think of are the sunken areas in the Fens.  Any
other suggestions?

(2) Have a look at today's XKCD ( http://xkcd.com/977/ ) and tell us
what your favourite map projection is :-)

Cheers,  Phil.