[Talk-GB] Administrative boundaries and parent/child relations

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Mon Nov 14 16:59:23 GMT 2011

In my opinion, it should be unnecessary to add the smaller area
relations as subarea role members of the larger ones (as I see has
recently been added to the boundary relation wiki page) – this is a
geographic database and if correctly tagged then the admin_level and
the physical location within an admin area the next class up should
be sufficient. In the UK I think the subarea role has only been used
on a few relations in the Kent area IIRC (I forget now, but when I
was writing a boundary validation program I discovered that
recursing relation members of relations needed to exclude the
subarea role to identify which boundary actually had the issue).

If you do decide to add electoral boundaries (there are currently
relatively few entered in GB – ~88 in last night’s Geofabrik
extract, 2 of which need fixing[1]), then after some discussion on
IRC we came up with a political_division tag as mentioned on

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dpolitical

and again, the location should mean subarea roles aren’t required.

Just my opinion though. Perhaps others can think of a reason subarea
members might be useful?

Ed

[1] http://www.loach.me.uk/osm/boundaries/political.aspx