[Talk-GB] Drinking Map of UK

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 15 12:11:03 GMT 2011

> sorry for entering the discussion this late, but I have just been pointed here
> right now because I do not usually follow talk-gb.
> I do however think, that this stuff should not be UK only :)

I can't speak for the original poster, but I think it was perceived as
a UK completeness type project, rather than we didn't want other
people to spoil the fun.

> I do not quite understand this real_ale stuff. German Microbreweries usually
> serve unfiltered yeast-clouded beer which has not been pasteurised. Mostly
> not ale but pilsner, lager or wheat beer. Can this be called real_ale?

Real ale is just a 'marketing' term that means "beer brewed from
traditional ingredients, matured by secondary fermentation in the
container from which it is dispensed, and served without the use of
extraneous carbon dioxide" (obviously 'traditional' here is defined in
a strictly British context).

So what you describe is probably "real", but as you suggest it would
seem odd to tag pilsner, lager or wheat beer as ale. CAMRA (the people
who made up "real ale") do apparently recognise "real beer" as an
alternative description?

> So should we convert the roughly 1000 breweries already tagged and if so in
> which way?
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=microbrewery#keys

Things tagged with microbrewery should be okay... assuming they
respected the tags original definition, i.e., a pub with a brewery in
it?

Do make comments/suggestions on the wiki pages... the tags we're using
are still evolving.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_Kingdom_Breweries

Craig