[Talk-GB] Drinking Map of UK

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 23:27:23 GMT 2011

Sven, Brian,
There are two reasons that this only works for the UK (or really the UK and
Ireland) at the moment:

   - My OSM database only covers this region.   It could probably cope with
   a larger area (maybe Europe), but I have never tried - it is running on my
   old Laptop so it is not particularly powerful (but does use <20W, and I
   worry about my Carbon footprint!).
   - The method that I use to produce the map would not scale well to large
   areas - there is a single file for each feature for the entire area, so if
   I make the area larger the download time for the files could become very
   large, and make the map feel unresponsive.   (I think that I will struggle
   even to extend the maps to uk pubs, because the pub data file is over 9MB,
   which would need downloading every time a user views the map.  There are
   ways around this:
      - Split the data into different files for different areas (basically
      cut it into tiles like we do map images).
      - Use a database on the server and extract only the data covering the
      area being displayed - could be done, but I do not have the code
to keep a
      mySql database on a remote server up to date with OSM data.

I think that these could be solved, but it will mean a change to the data
handling system.     If you are interested in developing one of these, let
me know and we can collaborate on it.

Regards

Graham

On 15 November 2011 15:48, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Whilst I originally envisaged this as a UK project, what Sven has brought
> up does suggest that it has a global perspective, but I doubt if Graham's
> time or server could cope with something that large. The wine industry is
> certainly global and Heineken( not real ale I know!) has 115 plants in 65
> countries. Food (or drink) for thought ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Brian

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.